[This post was first posted at www.crosshopechapel.org on September 6, 2015]
Here are some things to consider on unclean meats, as it came up in our discussion today. One awesome thing about our fellowship is our desire to provide an environment that points to the grace of Christ, His holy word, and allow each of us to grow in convictions according to the work of the Holy Spirit without the pressure of any kind of denominational requirements and doctrinal arguments.
The Christian life is one of living by faith, and sometimes being obedient by faith is harder than being obedient by works (or law) because we feel accomplished by a behavior but uneasy by faith because it “is the substance of things unseen” (Hebrews 11:1).
In Romans 14:2-3 we are counseled to refrain from forcing or demanding adherence to this type of doctrine. Paul exhorts “One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him” (ESV).
It is in Leviticus 11 that we are introduced to the unclean meats and is important for us to remember why it was given. God wanted to teach the Israelites that there is a difference between holy and unholy and prior to the coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, laws and ordinances was God’s means of communicating that. They had laws, we have the Spirit of God as our guide as we live by faith, not by law. (Read more at Got Questions? http://www.gotquestions.org/eating-pork.html).
So, here are 7 Bible verses to consider about this topic of unclean meats and the Christian…
- Galatians 3:10-14 – we are not justified before God by keeping His laws
- Galatians 3:24-26 – the laws served a purpose until Christ came
- Romans 14:17 – the “matter of eating” is not a matter of God’s Kingdom for us
- Romans 14:14 – nothing is unclean because of its own status
- 1 Timothy 4:4-5 – no food is to be rejected because of its own status
- 1 Corinthians 10:23-26 – all things are lawful to the believer
- Mark 7:14-23 – all food is declared clean